Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What direction

Today, my baby turned 5.  I am 42 and he is 5.  No, he was not planned.  He was a surprise.  A huge blessing, but a Major Surprise.  In fact, that is his name... Major Surprise.  Ok, not really.  His first name is Major.  Anyway, I have always felt like he was my last shot at getting it right.  That's not to say that my other two boys aren't fabulous.  The are wonderful works of God's love and grace.  I could not ask for two better young men to have the pleasure of raising and calling my sons.  But I am a different mom with Major than I was with the other two.

So, that got me to thinking, what direction will he go?  What sports will he prefer?  What subjects will he like or not like?  Will he prefer blondes or brunettes?  You know, all that stuff.  And it comes down to what direction am I going to lead him in?  With the other two I wanted a baseball player.  I love to watch the kids play baseball.  And what did I end up with?  I have a swimmer and a football playing motocrosser.  But I let them try EVERYTHING!  Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Swim Team, Karate, Golf, Archery, Guitar.  It seemed like every time the wind blew we were buying new something for this or for that.

But with Major, if I put him in Spring Baseball and Fall Baseball will I finally have my baseball player?  If I put him on a dirt bike every time his brother and dad get on one, will have a Trey Canard?  And at what point can I be sure he loves it and it's not just about me.  That is why we let the other two do whatever they wanted, so it could be about them and not us.  As kids, are they qualified, or even capable of making those decisions on their own?

This I do know, having a baby at 28 and having a baby at 37 make me a different mom for all of them.  But having that additional time of being a mom makes me no more wiser on which path to lead them.  However, I also know, that all that ultimately matters is that I have raised them all to walk with God and follow His direction for their lives.

Blessings

2 comments:

  1. A very inspiring post! I am a 25 yr old mom to a soon to be 6 year old, and a a year and a half year old (both boys). My 6yr old eat, sleeps, breathes, lives, everything motocross. I wonder if my baby will be the same way. Only time will tell, and I can't wait to see what life throws at me.

    PS. I always seen myself as a soccer mom hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. was referred to your blog by miss Lisa ^^^
    so glad she did!! we love mx blogger mommies!
    And i really enjoy how open and honest you are! if a blogger doesnt have that, then whats the point?? :))

    -Christa
    http://christanncox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete