Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Whats with all the numbers?

On my Facebook page, there are some really engaged users.  Not just moms, but dad's, kids and tracks.  So when I have a question, or anyone in our community for that matter, I try to put it out there for answers and ideas.  It has really become a place where we help each other.

A few months back I asked "Who buys the bikes in your house?"  while the answers ranged, I found that a LOT of moms do it all.  The research, the find, the negotiation, the purchase, the pickup, and often drive the trailer to the track when all is said and done.  (we really are amazing creatures).

Around that same time I was shopping for a bike for one of my boys and found one that I had started communicating with the lady on.  It was a listing on Craig's List, and I asked the lady what year is this bike?  And she didn't know.  That made me wonder, do you know how to find out what year a bike is?

Now, I am not a box beater about empowering women, but I am a strong believer in being as informed as I possibly can.  And I believe with knowledge comes power. So, if you don't know what year your bike is, this is your lucky day.    The year is located in the serial number, or VIN, on the bike.  Do you know where to find the serial number?  The serial number is located on the steering column, behind where the front number plate would usually be found.  You may have to turn the wheel some to find it, but this is what one looks like (this picture is sideways for reading purposes).


The 10th digit in the VIN indicates the year of your bike.  The above picture is from my youngest son's PW50.  It is a 2001.  The most in depth analysis of the VIN number I have ever read is HERE.   It is really quite amazing what those letters and numbers represent.  Anyway, with these numbers, you are able to find out a whole mess of information on the bike you are looking at.  I always first go to the NADA website to check pricing.  I am all for paying the value of the bike, but sometimes people have no idea what their bike is valued at.  They just know that they have had some real fun times and that's gotta be worth something, right?

So, if you are just getting into this sport, those are some of the first steps I advise when considering buying a used bike from an individual and not brand new from the dealer.  Hope that helps!

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment