Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The root of it


















This is how it started. For Christmas of 2009, Mark got the boys dirt bikes.  I had been every kind of mom out there ...Baseball ...Football... Basketball... Karate... Golf... Swim... Archery... and probably a couple more that I can't even remember at the moment.  Dang how I love those kids!!!  I would do anything for them.  And now I had become Dirt Bike Mom. 

It wasn't long before I started doing things I had never done before.  And it was FUN!  I have always enjoyed being in the minority.  And to be honest, I would say being a mom on duty at the track was still in the minority.  But I was learning how to do it all.  Mark worked so much that it seemed that the kids would never ride if they had to wait on him.  Before I knew it me and my 9 and 10 year old, with the 2 year old in tow, were loading bikes in the trailer and heading out.

 I remember at one point, the younger one could never remember how to start his bike, so under his contact in my phone I had a notes section that told us step-by-step what to do to start that thing.  And I have done it in flip flops.  I have done it in shoes that slipped off, and with so much force that I fractured my shin. 

When I started pulling the trailer I was awful!  I was backing up and so bad that the trail kind of jack knifed and the edge of it cut a whole in my bumper.  But, I got good at it.  Now, I could rival any man backing that thing up. 

I remember one time I had the older two on the track and the little guy was in the truck with the window mostly down.  I was helping one of the older boys and heard this horrible cry from the younger one.  I turned around and he was on the ground.  He had fallen out of the window on to the ground.  I have no idea how he landed.  Could have been on his head for all I know.  He cried and I held him and then the was fine.  Thank God!

It wasn't long till I went shopping for a shirt, hat, hoodie, ANYTHING that said "Dirt Bike Mom" and  there wasn't anything to be had.  I was really kind of sad.  I am a cheerleader by nature.  I had to have something to cheer on my boys and let the world know how proud I am of them.  Yet I couldn't find squat.

During the holiday season of 2010 I bought a tee shirt that said "I'm just like you, only prettier" just like the Miranda Lambert song.  Jokingly I told my sister, on dirt bike day's it was more like "dirtier."  And with that the tee shirt idea was born. 

The more I thought about my desire for some Dirt Bike Mom gear, the more I knew there were other mom's who felt the same way.  But I was a busy mom.  At that time I had been through that remains to be the worst year of my entire life.  Just so many horrible things were going, and had gone on.  I put the idea on the shelf for a while and just tried to do life for the time being.

Then, when I got back on my feet, when I felt a bit of stability returning to life I started toying with just making some tees.  It was a slow process, but I wasn't in a hurry.  I didn't then, and still don't, view this as a job, or even an income stream.  That's why our prices are so low.  It's not about making money.  It's to provide mom's a way to say to the world "I'm a proud dirt bike mom!"  When I put on my tee or hoodie, my boys beam with excitement.  They know I am proud of them, cause I am proclaiming to all of my world to see that my kids ride dirt bikes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment