Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Back on the Dirt Road

Well, since my first post life has changed. We found out that my oldest son has Juvenile Arthritis. As you can imagine, I have been really busy the last few months wrapping my mind around this, and working with my son to get him on the road to recovery. He is doing really well now, but getting on his bike has been a challenge. He has a Suzuki 85 Big Wheel (I think it is an 85), that is very tall. While he is very tall for his age, the bike was not comfortable to him. After months of trying to get him to get serious and ride, he finally admitted to his dad that he was scared. Poor kid, who could blame him. And really, I was kind of glad that he finally made the call. He has the JA in his legs, so if he were to take a fall, he would for sure be injured. Well, long story short, we got him a 4 wheeler last week, and he rode it over the weekend. He had so much fun. My middle son rode his bike and is slowly getting better and better. This was the third weekend in a row that he rode his bike. Mom's let me tell you, the best teacher is seat time. Just doing it over and over and over. We had them both take a motorcycle course, which was good. But consistently having them ride those dirt bikes is the key. Anyway, on Saturday, as my husband was working with each one of his three boys to get the to them going in the right direction, I realized that this was exactly what I wanted. I was looking for a hobby that would bring he and the boys closer. I wanted a hobby that he could get excited about and would get the boys excited about. And I wanted a hobby for all of them that they would all enjoy doing together. It was a good feeling realizing that these dirt bikes, and 4 wheeler, were doing exactly what I wanted them to do. And it was worth every penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment